Friday, November 5, 2010

Taking the long way...

AAAGGGGHHH! Totally not grammatically correct, but can you hear me screaming?! Today we had to go to Fargo for a doctor appointment and THEN we had to drive to Rochester to do a final cleaning of our house. Of course, we are kid-free for this lovely ride but OH MAN is it a crazy long ride! I am going van crazy - and that is even with this ridiculous mobile broadband card which is allowing me to wrack my mind for random things to look at online to keep me occupied. My eyes are bugging out. Steve is screaming the song "Too many beans" at the top of his lungs. He's jealous that I get the fun seat and all he gets to do is shove swedish fish in his mouth. The drive was long enough when it was Rochester to Fergus - that extra hour added in there is just torture even for two semi-adults!
We've been playing this game trying to drive the other crazy with grating voices/noises. I don't get bothered easily ;) But I do hate the smell of swedish fish! Blast.
Our first week in Fergus was NOT a success. Love seeing family of course - has nothing to do with that at all. Lets do a brief rundown since I have nothing better to do.
1. Delia is back to the version which screams 80% of the day. No joke. I hate it because something is wrong, she is clearly uncomfortable, but of course our doctor said she didn't see an issue. We switched formulas- got rid of the milk protein - this bought us a few days reprieve, but she is back at it in full swing this week. It is physically and emotionally exhausting for both Steve and I - and this is with both of us home dealing with it. When we get it worked out, she is the happiest thing! But in between its miserable.
2. Eden got sick. We went in initially and the doc (whom I didn't really enjoy) said it was likely strider/croup. No meds, just use a humidifier and keep her room cool. Done. Turned into a nasty cold (hopefully just a cold). THEN she falls on her face (once every 10 minutes) and lands on the knob of the entertainment center, slicing her gums open and gushing blood which would NOT stop. One positive thing about it - it FINALLY cut her other front tooth through! But it was awful. Then she didn't want to eat or touch a cup to her mouth for another day afterward as I'm sure it hurt like crazy. PS Eden is now waking before 6am daily!
3. Josiah is going through what I can only hope is a terrible transition phase. It is AWFUL. He threw a fit on Halloween like we have NEVER seen before. Over eye drops. Because something was in his eye and it was terribly irritated and looked painful. Then we have had this same fit repeated almost every single night at bed time.  He is not a fit-thrower! He is typically so well-behaved. It is beyond frustrating. Maybe mostly because I feel like it is our fault - pulling him out of 5-days a week full time FRIENDS his age and school - structure and constant socializing, taking him to a new place and being stuck home with mom and dad who are busy dealing with the drama his baby sisters are putting us through right now.... we don't have nearly as much time as he needs from us. I had the best of intentions. We bought fun supplies to do projects and activities from a cool science workbook we found. These projects would be done daily during the girl's nap time. Huh. What nap time? Who is napping these days? Maybe Eden if we are lucky. Poor guy. So instead he is lashing out and turning into this crazy person. In the midst of these fits I'm caught between wanting to yank him and put him on his bed versus grabbing him and hugging him so tightly and assuring him(me) that its going to get better. It has to get better. UGH.
This road trip is the perfect cap to our week! Feeling like a Debbie Downer, but thats really how the week went. I can't make this stuff up ;) Hoping that this little break gives us all a chance to recharge and figure out a new/better plan for next week. Only a few more days of Steve being home with us and after the week we just went through his words were "I don't know how you could possibly do this by yourself". I'm thinking now I will likely put Josiah in daycare of some sort in the mornings before he has school (three days per week). He needs kids his own age and to be kept busy. He has watched more tv this week than in the past year combined and I'm not a fan. I think it would really be best for all of us if he got his time away from the girls. There is just too much of an age gap between him and Eden - and too little of one between the two girls - for him to be happy right now. I need my happy boy back!
And now back to the road trip. Its a good thing we still have our sense of humor :) Steve is now breaking out the steering wheel drum so its clear he's gone long enough without my interaction - HA! Does your spouse sing along to songs slurring through all of the words he doesn't know? Do you find it endearing?! When we stopped for gas a few minutes back, I locked him out of the car. He danced his way around the van and I proceeded to let him back in. We saw this on America's Funniest Videos once where the wife took several videos of her locking him out of the car until he would dance.  We still think its funny and dancing the entire way around the car was even better. Of course when he left the car the next time he took the keys. Bummer dude.

No comments: