Wednesday, August 28, 2013

On the eve of your birthday, Dilly Bar...

(Disclaimer - I know, I am missing a certain birthday letter to a certain birthday girl who also celebrated this month. I have not been by a computer in between the two and now it seems silly to do both at the same time. I won't forget her - she won't let me!)

Sweet Delia-girl, you are about to turn 3 - I cannot believe how fast that crept up on me! It seems like overnight you went from being this goofy, giggly, wobbly toddler to a goofy, giggly BIG GIRL! Slow down already! 




You continue to be the family clown on most occasions - always making up some crazy joke (that honestly makes no sense) or silly song. Your facial expressions alone make anyone laugh. Your sense of style is also all your own. You've spent most of the summer in your underwear, but on days when you do get dressed, its always interesting to see what you choose. I learned long ago that there is no sense arguing with you about what to wear - I will pick my battles and I sense that you and I may have a few of those ahead, as you seem to be even more stubborn than me.

You are SO brave. You love to be in the water, under the water, jumping, swimming, etc. NO fear. This makes me fearful sometimes?! But I love it. You are such a fish. You ride around on your bike and trike like a terror as well - we have to run or send Josiah on his bike to keep up with you. You love all things fast and dangerous I think! And yet you love babies. You love to bounce your babies in your arms, to feed them and sing to them. You also give them time-outs. I wonder where you've learned that?! You can be so fierce and yet so gentle, I never know what to expect when you jump out of bed at the crack of dawn! 

You talk non-stop. Sometimes you get to talking so excitedly that you give yourself the hiccups. You tell the craziest stories - I wish I could keep up and write them all down. There are circuses and boats and sharks and elephants and babies and Jesus and loose teeth. Just so random! You have the wildest imagination. You turn these funny thoughts into songs on many occasions and most of the time turn it into a song about Christmas. It amazes me that you can come up with all of this stuff and so many words at 3 - when you had just barely started talking before you turned 2! You love big words though - and it cracks me up. Some words you say perfectly well, and others you still say a bit silly - but I don't correct you because I kind of prefer it your way. We have had okey-meal in our house instead of oatmeal since Josiah was one - so I will let you have it that way. And now you like "glish-rish" (licorice). I don't know how you can say words like "delectable" and "ecstatic" and not "licorice", but this one makes me chuckle every time, so I'm leaving it alone. Sometimes its okay to just walk to the beat of your own drum.


Next week you start preschool. I'm just not sure if the world is ready for that, Dilly girl! You are beyond thrilled about it though - to finally be able to go to school like your brother and sister. And while I am feeling a wee bit sad or nostalgic maybe that my baby is off to school, I think I am worried about you the least. You are confident and brave and so sure of yourself. You love to be surrounded by friends but you don't let them sway you. (hold onto these traits in junior high, okay?!)

Delia Grace, you were most definitely a surprise for us - but you have brought SO much joy and laughter to this family. I cannot imagine our family without you in it. I can see in these little character traits that are forming that God is going to do mighty things in you and through you. You have such a loud voice to use for Him! And I know you already sing about Jesus all the time - just wait until those songs are coherent! :) May your daringness and confidence take you to some amazing places and may your persuasive nature will lead many to Christ. And of course, my sweet baby, you always have a place here with arms waiting for you in the moments when you might not feel so brave. That is okay too. One day you will learn that it is okay to slow down once in a while and that naps are a good thing. Until then, I will try to keep up with you.
mama

No comments: